Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
The goal of the University of Minnesota's Residency in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health is to produce competent, sensitive, compassionate and respectful Obstetrician/Gynecologists who will enhance and further the knowledge of women’s health care.
This four year residency training program designed to provide a broad exposure to all aspects of health care for women. The goals of the program are to aid resident physicians in acquiring the following:
- The knowledge and skills to provide health maintenance and disease prevention for women.
- To develop the necessary cognitive and technical skills in the outpatient, emergency room, inpatient unit, operating rooms and delivery room for the management of obstetric problems and gynecologic diseases.
- To gain an understanding of the basic science foundations of clinical obstetrics and gynecology which will form the basis of an evidence-based clinical practice and for lifelong continuing medical education
- To develop the interpersonal skills necessary to deal most effectively with patients, other health professionals, and colleagues, and to act not as students but also as teachers
- To gain an understanding of healthcare systems and administration so as to advocate for and deliver high quality patient care.
As the only Obstetrics & Gynecology residency in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul—and one of only two programs in the state—our residents are in a unique position to take advantage of one of the best healthcare environments in the country. They work with some of the finest physicians, surgeons and researchers in the area. Our graduates repeatedly tell us that this residency prepared them extremely well for life in their ObGyn practice.
Other strengths of our program include: strong educational experience, outstanding obstetrical and surgical experience, training at multiple sites, pro-choice, excellent fellowship placement and a diverse patient population.
Phillip N. Rauk, MD
Residency Program Director
Samantha L. Hoffman, MD
Associate Program Director
Colleen Rivard, MD
Simulation & Surgical Curriculum Director
- Medical Student Clerkship and Courses
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
- Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship
- Kirk D. Ramin, M.D. Endowment Fund Award
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship
- Grand Rounds
- Women's Health Autumn Seminar
- Observers and Visiting Trainees
- Adjunct Teaching Opportunities
- Training Verification Information